Saturday, August 14, 2010

Country club church?


It seems to me that the church I was trained to expect was some sort of cocky, country-club fortress that needed to be taken down a peg or two. We, the new ministers, would come flying in like Underdog, armed with new hymnals, new language, and new ideas, inspired by professors who were still passionately processing their two years in ministry fifteen years ago.

The church I was trained to expect was a church that needed fixing, not in its weakness, but in its hubris.

Lillian Daniel, This Odd and Wondrous Calling

1 comment:

  1. So Lillian Daniel went to a liberal divinity school too. This brief selection alone has made me smile with recognition and determine to read her book as soon as possible. In my case, Kentucky tobacco farmers took Underdog under their seasoned rural wings and started the long process of turning him into an humbler, more human member of the pastor's union.

    ReplyDelete